Bhutan provides a stunning array of photographic opportunities- mountainous landscapes, ancient temples and monasteries, lively, colourful festivals, a timeless Buddhist culture and fascinating people. The Bhutan Ultimate Photography Tour is a suggested itinerary designed to make the most of these incredible features. Taking place in early October, it coincides with the Autumn festival season providing a chance to capture images of the grandest of Bhutan’s festivals, the spectacular Thimphu Tsechu and the more intimate Tangbi Mani Festival in a rural setting near Bhutan’s spiritual heartland, Bumthang. This tour also visits remote villages, ancient palaces and fortresses, farm houses, temples and sacred sites throughout Bhutan’s western and central valleys.
Featuring a fascinating display of dances, rituals, colourful costumes, and locals gathered in celebration, Bhutan festivals provide an excellent subject for photography. Festivals occur throughout the year, and can easily be incorporated into an itinerary. Please visit our Festivals section for more suggested itineraries.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE BHUTAN PHOTOGRAPHY TOUR
Bhutan provides a stunning array of photographic opportunities, pristine landscapes, sacred and ancient sites, colourful festivals and a fascinating people. This ‘Ultimate Bhutan Photography Tour’ visits the many cultural and wilderness highlights of the western valleys of Paro, Thimphu, Punakha and the central areas of Trongsa and Bumthang.
- Photograph the colourful rituals and dances of the spectacular Thimphu Tsechu.
- Experience the intimate Tangbi Mani Festival located near Bhutan’s spiritual heartland, Bumthang.
- Explore Bhutan’s central valleys, rich with ancient historical and sacred Buddhist sites.
- Discover some of the most sacred Buddhist monasteries and temples in the Himalaya.
- Encounter Bhutan’s unique culture up-close with farmhouse visits and village excursions.
- Drive over high mountain passes affording sensational views of the Himalayan peaks.
- Visit many cultural attractions including medieval fortresses (Dzongs), markets and museums.
- Hike up to the famous Taktsang Monastery, perched on a cliff 900m above the valley floor.
- Marvel at the elaborate and ancient wall paintings and carvings in Dzongs and temples.
- Traverse beautiful landscapes from lush valleys to dense forests.
- Incorporate a Value-Added Option such as a cooking lesson or meditation session with a monk.